Free Cars For Low Income Families

There are a few organizations out there who offer grants (if not outright cars) for families in financial need.

Government Grants are not available specifically for vehicles, however, there are several organizations that either offer grants for cars or who award cars to deserving families outright.

Grants for cars for low income families come in one of two basic forms, they are either grants for money in order to purchase a car, or cars awarded to families outright based on financial need.  These cars and the money to purchase cars either come from nonprofit organizations or charitable organizations.

But, if you’ve tried to research on your own, you’ve probably found a lot of dead ends.  Here, we will eliminate the dead ends and try to route you only to current organizations.

Vehicles For Change

Vehicles for Change is a charitable foundation that awards low income families, individuals and nonprofit organizations rebuilt and repaired used cars to help them overcome the worst of their difficulties.  But Vehicles for Change is not free, however the prices are only to help them cover the cost of the repairs and can be for as little as $950.  The other hurdle is that you must be referred to them by a social service agency, and, from our review, it looks like they are only in Michigan and Maryland.  For more information regarding Vehicles for Change, go to: vehiclesforchange.org

Modest Needs.org

Modest Needs.org is a great organization with a website that’s very easy to navigate.  While they don’t grant cars specifically, they do help people in need and it’s all online.  Unlike most charities, Modest Needs is for working families that, because they are working, don’t qualify for government assistance, but who live paycheck to paycheck and may have found themselves in a catastrophic financial bind – like needing a car to get to work, for example.  Here is the  ModestNeeds.org application information

OnlineCarDonation.org

OnlineCarDonation.org has about 1000 links to donate your car, but finding how to apply for one of these cars is a little harder.  Here is the link to Apply to receive a vehicle.  They support battered women, people with physical challenges, families living in homeless shelters, and military families in need.  Note that, for vehicles, the WithCauses.org and freecharitycars.org just points to OnlineCarDonation.org.

Buying your own vehicle

Buying your own car for under $1000 is a possibility from sites like AutoList Under $1000 or Auto.com but you can’t be sure what condition the car will be in.  We suggest you bring a mechanic with you when looking to buy any used vehicle.

FAFSA for College Students

Check out more about how FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) could be used to buy a vehicle or transportation expenses. FAFSA

Your Local Church

Talk to your pastor, priest, minister or head of your local church.  People love to donate locally to see their donations in action.  Your church should be open to helping its members, usually by arranging a fund-raiser or simply mentioning your need.  It could be a monetary donation or maybe a church member has an older car just sitting on their property that another member could get running for you.  Click here to see more on this: Church Grants

These are all the  programs that we can find, but information is changing all the time.  Google “car grants” and you may find something new or organizations specific to your area.

Written by

Carl has written on thousands of Grant Programs and step-by-step guides to obtaining Grants. Whether you’re looking for Business Grants, Personal Grants, Women's Grants, Education Grants and Applications. Maybe you want to see if there is a Grant that fits your needs in his A to Z Grant Library. Join him on Google+

44 Comments to “Free Cars For Low Income Families”

1. Tiffany says:

Desperately in need of CAR HELP. Im HOMELESS and JOBLESS with no unemployment during this COVID19 pandemic. I would have the means of employment as either a DELIVERY DRIVER of some sort or willing to seek employment at a hospital facility even as long as im able to ensure having my own confined space to during quarentine which would be a car thats what id prefer to live in and use for transportation i feel its the safest easiest way to live right now. I AM IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. I DONT REQUIRE ANYTHING FANCY OR BIG JUST A GOOD ON FUEL NOT TOO MANY PROBLEMS NOT TOO BIG VEHICLE. I EVEN HAVE 300$ TOWARDS SOMETHING AND IF NEEDED IM WILLING TO MAKE LOW MONTHLY PAYMENTS OF 50$ MONTH UNTIL PAID. I AM SERIOUSLY WILLING TO DO WHAT I CAN DO NOT JUST ASKING FOR A HANDOUT. THANK YOU

• Charles Conover says:

Hello Tiffany, It can be a challenge to find grants for cars anymore. But because you are in California, there is a Clean Vehicle Assistance program which looks like just what you need. https://cleanvehiclegrants.org/
      Good luck with your situation.

2. My young grandson and I have missed Drs appointment, Cardiology and RA Drs, We haven’t even been able to get a ride to the Grocery store. I’m 65yrs old, and I Can’t even walk because of a Bad Break in My ankle and I Don’t Heal properly. I might lose my foot! My Sister passed away from COPD.And my husband has Nonhodgekins lymfoma.I don’t have the Money to replace a Car,,,Please Help Me?

3. thomas HENRY says:

Hi there i would like some information about getting help about a vehicle threw the government please

4. Bambie ward says:

I am mom of 4 children live with mother on SSI I have cancer Brest that spread to bones car would help

5. Debbie Cohn says:

Hi! I am writing hoping you can help me. I am a victim of abuse where I reside and it has really affected my health..Went to see a Dr up here in Oregon,explained my situation,gave me medication,suggested I move! Found place back in Yucca Valley,Ca, which is temporary, but at least I will feel safe and immediately get into counseling. I am trying to get a grant so I may purchase a dependable car to get a job that I am qualified for. I want to be self sufficient & self supporting and improve my situation. I am 63.,on SSI/SSAof $700 month very difficult

6. Bobbi gidner says:

I’m ex wife of a abussive ex marine, and another man. I tried suicide due to financial problems and need a vehicle to get to work so I may get kids back, I’ve always had a good productive job , but the fate of what happed and no money for lawyers has left me with a great need for a vehicle to supply and take care of kids. Any help would be wonderful and would pay back when a job can be obtained, thank you

7. raymond ramirez says:

Hi this is Raymond I really need a car just broke my femur recently lot harder to get to places cause my late teens stay right there is anybody that’s going to help me with a car please help me out krishy it thank you

8. Hello,
    I was wondering if there was a special program out there to help low income family/families who are on S.S.I to buy a bunker?I am curious cause were i live in the country and i have no cellar.I live in a 3 bedroom and 2 bath trailer.This is all i can afford and I’ve been trying for 1-4 years to get my landlord to putting in a cellar in case a tornado.I am a single parent of 4 kids and only 2 of my kids live with me.I am trying my best to protect them and myself.I am worried and concerned about stuff i see on the news.Can you or anyone help me or other people like me out?

9. WES TAYLOR says:

I am 85 years old; my dear Wife is 80 years old. Our family Auto will soon qualify for an antique, so that expensive repairs are becoming more and more frequent. We abide in a 35ft travel trailer, which is fine, but auto repairs are a burden on us. While it is true that we don’t have babies at home, we do have frequent trips to the doctor and hospital. We are not asking for charity, per se, but would certainly appreciate a “free” auto to replace our current one, that has been in our possession for many years; What,if anything can we do, or to whom can we apply to assist us in our quest! thank you and everyone for your most kind attention to this request! CWT,,And, oh!, we don’t have children at home:

10. Maresa says:

I have a mother who is disabled. It has been hard trying to give her the proper care that she needs, form doctor appointments keeping up with medication, and other medical equipment for day to day life. She has been through several surgeries from her back, neck and hands, with more pending. The medical bills are enormous. I have to work full time in order to help with the living expenses which has been difficult being that her specialist are an hour away from were we live. I love my mother so mush that I am willing to do anything to help her live comfortable as possible. I also have a niece with special needs that has to be transported to school and activities. While doing all this I am attending college classes trying to make a better future for my family.

11. Josephine sweeney says:

Im on disability. I am a mother of two in desperate need of a car. I have a lot of Dr appointments and don’t have a way to get to half of them. I have lost a lot of doctor’s due to no ride. I have a bad back from falling through a porch it injured my back and now I have rod bolts pins in my back. I need help with getting a car asap. Please help me.

12. John Austin says:

My wife and I need a car badly. We are in our sixties and have to walk everywhere. If anyone could help us I would be very grateful.

13. Sierra Austin says:

I’m praying for a vehicle. My husband and I can’t work because we have no way to get there and we don’t know what we are going to do. We have a one year old little boy. We have to beg people to take him to doctors appointments. We would very much appreciate reliable transportation.

14. Janice says:

We need transportation we have two small babies.